Nigerian Govt Postpones Closure Of Third Mainland Bridge
Nigeria government has announced the postponement of the three-day closure of the Third Mainland Bridge for Investigative Maintenance Test.
The federal government had earlier announced that the bridge would be closed on July 27, 2017.
But the Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola on Tuesday, July 24, announced that the shutdown will now last from August 24 to August 26.
Hakeem Bello, the spokesman to the minister said the shift in the date was after due consultations with the Lagos State Government and wide deliberations with other relevant stakeholders adding that the date shift was done “in order to give succour and relief to the people of Lagos State and other inter-state road users and support the efforts of the state government.”
In his reaction to the Oshodi-Apapa Expressway gridlock, the minister said he has directed the immediate deployment of trucks to the trailer park being constructed by the ministry with the capacity to accommodate about 300 trucks while construction works for the shoreline protection continues.
Click To Join Hiphopshuffle Group On Telegram
Bello also said that” following the visit of the Vice President, Professor Yemi Osinbajo, to Lagos in connection with the Apapa Port Gridlock, the Federal Government has said, as a short-term measure, a call-up system in the control of truck movement would be introduced adding that it would be initially manual while the long-term digital and ICT based system would be developed and deployed.”
“The Association of Truck Owners has agreed to manage the manual system with their members who are truck operators,” the government also said.